Originating in Asia, Rosemary essential oil for hair can be your ally in your fight against dandruff and hair loss.
This wonderful healing oil is one of the most important essential oils used extensively in the holistic science of Aromatherapy. Rosemary essential oil not only relieves headaches and improves memory; it has hundreds of other health and beauty benefits.
Today, my focus is only on rosemary oil for hair growth and fighting hair loss. So I am going to describe different ways in which you can use rosemary essential oil for hair regrowth.
What Is Rosemary Essential Oil?
Rosemary essential oil is obtained by steam distillation of the flowers of Rosemary herb. The oil is clear to pale yellowish in color. It has a medium strong aroma which can be best described as fresh, uplifting, stimulating and herbaceous.
Rosemary essential oil has hundreds of health and beauty benefits. I cannot enlist all of these uses here; pages and pages of literature and scientific work has been published on this healing oil.
Instead, I am only going to summarize few of the most important benefits of Rosemary essential oil:
- The oil fights mental exhaustion, depression and anxiety.
- It is extremely beneficial for treating chronic skin issues like eczema, psoriasis and acne.
- Rosemary essential oil for hair loss is particularly beneficial for people with oily hair and scalp as it balances sebum production and prevents dandruff. The oil is also known to promote hair growth. I will be talking about the benefits of rosemary essential oil specifically for hair later in this guide.
- Rosemary herb and its essential oil is very beneficial for hair loss treatment and it is also proven to stimulate hair growth.
- Since the oil boosts blood circulation, it can fight cellulite.
- It is one of the best oils for arthritis, joints, and muscle aches owing to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- In women, it can fight menopause and PMS symptoms.
- Rosemary oil is also one of the best oils for colds and coughs.
- It can alleviate headaches and migraines.
- You can also use it for repelling bugs and insects.
How Does Rosemary Essential Oil For Hair Loss Work?
When you start seeing hair in your brush, on your clothes and your pillows, your first reaction is panic. Many people even flock to the nearest salon for a quick solution. In reality, most of these quick treatments for hair loss fail.
There are many factors that result in hair loss; primary among them are dandruff, unhygienic scalp, excess sebum production and infections like ringworm or tinea. Of course, there are also other factors such as genetics, diet, lifestyle etc which could contribute to hair loss.
In any case, the best solution for preventing hair loss is hygiene, proper diet, stress control and certain lifestyle changes. In addition, regular oil massages of the scalp can help. Massages help boost circulation and also prevent DHT formation. DHT is dihydrotestosterone-a hormone responsible for hair loss in both men and women.
Rosemary essential oil hair growth reviews show that it plays a role in blocking DHT. It penetrates the scalp and strengthens hair follicles providing nourishment where it is needed the most. Here is how rosemary essential oil works for hair growth:
- This healing oil is carminative and astringent.
- It boosts circulation to the roots of the hair so your hair gets all the nourishment it needs. At the same time, it cleans and removes sebum from the follicles so that the hair grows normally.
- Rosemary oil is also antifungal and antiseptic. These properties are beneficial in fighting fungi, lice, nits, parasites and even dandruff. Regular use of rosemary oil for hair loss cleans the scalp thoroughly.
- The oil replenishes lost nutrients to the damaged hair and replenishes moisture to the dull, frizzy hair.
- Essential oils like Rosemary oil are completely natural and devoid of side effects unlike other conventional medicines for hair loss.
For more information on the use of rosemary essential oil here is a terrific article from Hair Loss Revolution.
How To Use Rosemary Oil For Hair
Hot Oil Scalp Massage
This is the best way to use rosemary oil for hair growth. Heat up some coconut or jojoba or olive oil. Add a few drops of pure rosemary oil to it. Massage the mixture onto the hair and scalp. The heat enables the oils to penetrate deep into the scalp and hair shaft. Try to leave the oil on your hair for at least half an hour before washing off with a mild shampoo.
In Your Shampoo
Add a few drops of rosemary oil to your favorite shampoo. Wet hair thoroughly and apply the shampoo-oil blend all over the scalp. Massage in gentle circular motion. Leave the shampoo on your scalp for up to 5 minutes. Wash off with warm water. Repeat this treatment for hair loss twice a week.
This is a wonderful remedy for people with dry and damaged hair. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo as usual and while the hair is still wet, apply a few drops of pure rosemary oil throughout the scalp. The oil penetrates the hair follicles and strengthens them. Rosemary oil also imparts shine to the hair and prevents hair fall, dandruff and hair breakage.
This is another wonderful hair growth remedy with rosemary oil. Massage the oil into dry hair and scalp as is (or you can dilute it using your favorite carrier oils like Jojoba/Olive/Coconut oil. It is important to massage for at least 5-7 minutes as massage stimulates circulation and makes sure that the oil reaches all parts of the scalp.
Cover your hair with a towel soaked in hot water. Leave it on for 10 minutes. Remove the towel and protect your pillow and bed sheets with some old covers to prevent staining when you sleep. Wash off the hair with a mild shampoo the next morning.
Rosemary Oil Hair Growth Recipe
Here are some of my favorite hair growth recipes with Rosemary oil...
Herbal Shampoo For Hair Growth
Use this shampoo once or twice a week to stimulate hair growth.
- ¾ cup distilled water
- 1 tsp each Peppermint, Rosemary and Lavender oils
- ¾ cup Glycerin or Castile soap
- 1 tbsp Witch Hazel (alcohol free) or Aloe Vera gel
Mix all ingredients and store it in an empty bottle. To use, shake well and take desired quantity in your palm. Wet hair, and then massage the above mixture into hair. Leave on for a few minutes before rinsing clean.
You can also use organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar as a final rinse following the use of this hair growth recipe.
Rosemary And Lavender Hair Oil
Use the following oil blend to massage into hair and scalp. The shelf life of this blend is 2 weeks. For best results, leave it in your hair as a deep conditioner.
Mix the oils and let it mellow for a few hours. To use, shake the bottle well. Take a few drops of the blend in your palm and run it throughout the hair. Now use a hair brush to comb your hair so that the oils coat the hair and scalp.
You can also warm up the blend on the stovetop or in the microwave for a few seconds. Make sure the oil is not too hot. Massage into hair. Cover up your head with a hot towel (towel soaked in hot water).
This opens the pores and allows the oils to penetrate into the roots and follicles. You can leave it on for 45 minutes or overnight. Wash off with cold water the next morning.
Caution: Do not use Rosemary oil for hair loss or hair growth when pregnant.
Rosemary essential oil for hair has been tested on mice with hair loss and the results have been great. These tests have proven that regular use of rosemary oil for hair growth reduces DHT-the main factor that causes hair loss.
It is no wonder that rosemary oil is found in many commercial hair regrowth products.
Start using sulfate free and paraben free rosemary oil for hair regrowth and you will be amazed at the results!
NOTE: Another great way to benefit from Rosemary oil is by dispersing it into the air you breathe. Consider getting a good quality essential oil diffuser to release the aroma of aromatherapy oils throughout your home or office.