It is very common, unfortunately, for dogs to suffer from skin issues. Primary among these is dry skin which leads to intense itchiness, flaking and hot spots. The resultant scratching, chewing, rubbing and licking can spell misery in your dog’s life and could even lead to anemia and other serious health issues. Fortunately, there is no need to let your best friend suffer unnecessarily.
Vet approved medications for dry skin give relief but many of these are known to cause adverse side effects and must not be used long term. Therefore, the best solution for dry skin in dogs is to determine the root cause of dry skin and eliminate it quickly.
Additionally, you can also use topical coconut oil for dogs skin issues as it can help relieve symptoms like itchiness, flaking, dandruff etc. And that is the topic of today’s article. We will determine which is the best coconut oil for dogs and also discuss the oil’s added numerous health benefits.
Drugs, hormonal imbalance, hypo or hyperthyroidism, and many other underlying medical issues can also cause dry, itchy skin in canines. Combating these underlying medical issues is a must to eliminate symptoms and give your dog much needed relief.
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies for dogs’ dry, itchy skin due to following reasons...
- Store bought creams and products are petroleum or water based and they mostly give temporary relief from flaking, irritation, dryness and redness. Many of them are known to aggravate the problem in dogs with sensitive skin.
- Coconut oil for dogs skin not only fights redness and irritation; it also combats pustules, cuts and scratches caused by constant scratching.
- The antibacterial and antifungal properties in coconut oil heal bacterial and fungal skin infections like tinea or ringworm, thrush, Candida and so on.
- The medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil reinforce the skin’s natural lipid barrier and protect moisture loss.
- Coconut oil for dogs skin is effective on bruises and helps speed up healing of skin tissues.
- Dogs love touch and the use of coconut oil for massage can benefit your pet in numerous ways. It can help seal your loving bond with your pet; additionally, your dog’s coat will benefit by becoming shinier and softer.
- Coconut oil is one of the best nutrients for canine hair and fur. It helps with hair growth especially in cases where the pet has lost fur due to skin infections like ringworm.
- Regular coconut oil massages will keep your pet’s coat free from dandruff, lice and lice eggs, mange, mites and, to some extent, even fleas and ticks. It is no wonder that more and more pet product manufacturers are using this wonderful oil in their pet care range.
- You can also use coconut oil for dogs’ ears. Adding a few drops of the oils inside the ear canal can prevent infections and clean up ear gunk.
- Apart from topical use, many pet owners have seen wonderful results by feeding coconut oil regularly to their dogs. It helps with heart disease prevention, weight loss, and digestion and immune system support as well as protection against viruses, bacteria and fungi. The oil also provides nutrition to the coat from inside out.
This remedy will prevent dryness that comes with excess use of shampoos. Make sure you use only essential oils that are safe for dogs. These include Lavender, Rosemary, Chamomile, Frankincense, Myrrh, Carrot etc. Please check out my article on the best essential oils for dogs.
Add a few teaspoons of coconut oil to your pet’s kibble. Regularly feeding coconut oil to dogs gives fantastic results in that; your dog’s coat will be moisturized from inside out and shine with health. Many pet owners also use coconut oil for cleaning their pet’s teeth to prevent mouth odor.
The Best Coconut Oil For Dogs
I recommend using premium grade, unrefined extra virgin coconut oil for dogs sourced from a reliable manufacturer. This ensures minimum processing that keeps the oil chemical and additive free.
Virgin coconut oil or VCO also contains medium chain triglycerides with Lauric acid as an important constituent. Lauric acid possesses important properties that benefit your dog’s health in numerous ways. This makes VCO the best remedy for dog’s dry skin.
Get the benefits of coconut oil for dogs skin...for your best friend today!