A person’s awareness and health-conscious attitude makes aromatherapy's best essential oils for snoring an excellent option. Snoring is mainly caused by sleep apnea which is an obstruction in the nasal passage.
The person who snores is usually blissfully unaware of it but it leaves her/his partner suffering greatly.
Worry not! The best essential oils for snoring will prevent sleep apnea and snoring and save your marriage as well.
What Are The Factors Responsible For Snoring?
It is estimated that nearly 40% men and 25% women aged 60 and above snore!
Did you know that snoring sounds can reach up to the order of 110 decibels? That is extremely loud! It is no wonder that many a marriage has been disrupted thanks to snoring.
Here are the most common causes of snoring:
- The soft palate which is a tissue in the back of the mouth and nose relaxes during sleep. With each incoming breath, this tissue flaps and vibrates creating a loud noise. Why does this happen in some people only? There are multiple reasons but sleeping on the back is the most prominent one. This position forces the tongue into the back of the mouth where it presses upon the uvula vibrating it.
- Using pillow too hard or large-Improper pillows can cause the head to move forward and constrict the throat.
- Alcohol consumption- Alcohol dehydrates and dries up your oral cavity and also relaxes the tissues causing them to fall back.
- Certain medicines- antihistamines, cold meds, sedatives etc also relax the soft palate.
- Smoking-narrows the airways
- Pregnancy-increases blood flow and narrows the nasal passage
- Over eating prior to bed time
- Obesity-overweight people are at a greater risk of sleep apnea and snoring than those within the normal weight range.
How Does Aromatherapy Help Reduce Snoring?
Aromatherapy essential oils work very well for preventing snoring as many oils help treat varying respiratory ailments.
Thanks to the special biochemical properties of essential oils, the congestion-relieving properties are brought into the respiratory system through inhalation.
There are multiple ways in which aromatherapy oils work for snoring:
- The herbs in the oils relax the throat muscles and relieve nasal congestion.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of these volatile oils reduce dryness at the back of the nose and mouth preventing the rattling sound produced during a snore.
- Essential oils also lubricate the dry airways allowing the air to flow without obstruction.
- Aroma-therapeutic compounds reduce stiffness of the throat muscles and prevent production of mucus.
Best Essential Oils For Snoring
Here are some of the best essential oils for snoring...
Marjoram oil clears up nasal congestion thereby preventing snoring. Massage a bit of the oil on your neck at bedtime.
You can also diffuse the oil in your bedroom. An alternative is to saturate some cotton balls or sponges and keeping them near the bed or throughout the room.
The volatile compounds in eucalyptus oil clear up nasal congestion quickly to relieve snoring.
This is why it is one of the best essential oils to use in mist sprays. You can also apply a few drops to an old sock and place the sock in the pillow.
An ideal snoring remedy is a mixture of eucalyptus and peppermint oils in equal parts applied to nostrils, temples and throat region.
This is a cooling remedy that soothes the respiratory passage and clears up congestion and blockage.
The best way to use this oil for snoring is to a few drops to steaming water and inhaling the steam for 10 minutes.
This will relieve nasal congestion and help you sleep better. You can also spray or diffuse the oil in your bedroom. Another way of using this essential oil for snoring is using it for gargling as a mouthwash.
If nasal congestion and stuffy nose is the cause of your sleep apnea and snoring, you can use Rosemary oil to loosen up the congestion.
It is one of the best essential oils for asthma, bronchitis and sinus infections.
There are multiple ways to use this oil: add it to your bath water and relax in it for 10-15 minutes. You can also use this oil for a soothing and relaxing massage.
Lavender is one of the most versatile essential oils in Aromatherapy and is also beneficial for preventing snoring. It basically works by reducing inflammation and relieving congestion.
The best way to use this relaxing oil is to diffuse it in your room or use it as a mist spray.
You can also apply a drop of Lavender oil below each nostril before sleeping. Another great remedy is in the form of a warm compress.
Soak a soft cloth in hot water to which you have added a few drops of Lavender oil. Wring out the excess water and place the cloth on your face while you relax. Inhale the vapors of Lavender deeply and drift off into a relaxing sleep.
Other Top Essential Oils For Snoring
There are many other noteworthy essential oils for snoring and you can inhale their vapors, use them as massage or bath oils or also as a mouthwash to lubricate the throat and provide a decongestant numbing action.
Lemon oil has antispasmodic and antiseptic action to relieve throat infections and sinus congestion.
This oil has an expectorant action that relieves mucus.
Fennel is actually used in lozenges and cough drops for its anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and expectorant action.
Use sage as a mouthwash to relieve snoring.
Thyme is an excellent remedy for sore throat and congestion.
Diffuse this oil in your room for preventing mosquitoes as well as snoring. It is a wonderful essential oil for relieving headaches, migraines etc.
Essential Oils For Snoring – Top Recipes
Massage the following blend on your chest, neck and back before bed.
- Rose oil- 4 drops
- Geranium oil- 4 drops
- Sweet Basil-3 drops
- Anise – 3 drops
- Lemongrass oil- 3 drops
- Carrier oil- 4 tsp
Mist the following sprays several times in your bedroom before bedtime.
Snoring Spray Remedy #1
- 50 drops each Geranium, Lavender, Marjoram oils
- 20 drops Cedarwood oil
- 15 drops each Sweet basil and Eucalyptus oils
- 4 fluid ounces of water.
Snoring Spray Remedy #2
- 60 drops Marjoram oil
- 40 drops each Lemongrass and Sandalwood oils
- 30 drops each Myrtle and Lavender oils
- 4 fl. oz water
Snoring Spray Remedy #3
- 55 drops Spruce oil
- 45 drops Myrtle oil
- 30 drops each Eucalyptus and Bay oils
- 20 drops each Grapefruit and Marjoram oils
- 4 fl. oz water
Snoring Silence Powder Recipe
Let your partner sleep in peace with this amazing snoring powder recipe:
- 3 drops each Cypress, Eucalyptus and Lavender oils
- ¼ cup cornstarch
In a mason jar, add all the ingredients and shake well. At bedtime, sprinkle the powder liberally inside your pillowcase and also under the sheets.
The healing properties of these essential oils for snoring open up the passageways and allow for easier breathing. Their antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory action enables you to sleep better.
Snoring Foot Rub
- 2 drops each Thyme and Lavender oils
- 1 tsp carrier oil
Mix the oils well and apply to the soles of your feet at bedtime. The soothing essential oils are transported to every cell of the body and their sedative, antispasmodic, restorative and expectorant action relieves snoring.
Snoring disturbs the one sleeping next to the snorer and not the snorer him/herself. Essential oils for snoring have been known to assist greatly in eliminating this ailment and have benefitted many a marriage!
Try a variety of the best essential oils for snoring described above until you find one that suits you.